The sense of motherhood begins in the first months of pregnancy and reaches the highest level at the time of birth. Birth, a process that every expectant mother wants to live to, is an extraordinary feeling defined by the mother.
The mother who wants to experience this process in full carries the fear of the pains of childbirth.” The pain of childbirth is a very severe pain caused by contraction of the uterine muscles, which are indispensable for childbirth, and is even described by many women as the most severe pain in their lives.
The severity of the pain or pain of the palpable pain depends on a variety of factors, such as the height of the baby, the position of the baby, the width of the pelvis (roof), the strength of contractions, past experiences and expectations, the threshold of pain and many reasons that have not yet been resolved. It’s hard to predict how much pain you’re going to have before you have the birth.
Many researches have been conducted and methods have been tried to prevent these pains from adversely affecting the course of birth, which can turn the birth process, which is perhaps the most beautiful experience in the mother’s life, into an unpleasant experience.
What our mothers are most curious about is ‘Epidural birth’, nameless birth among the public, to put it briefly, caesarean section is a combination of birth and normal birth.
Instead of general anesthesia at caesarean section, pains are reduced so that pain is not felt using special area anesthesia, but the baby is born in normal ways. So the baby’s birth doesn’t take place in the abdomen, just like the caesarean section.
The expectant mother who will give birth epidural can feel the pressure, touch during childbirth, or even walk until the moment of birth, but she does not feel the pain.
Because epidural “painless birth”, “princess birth”, known as the method; it has become a special regional anesthesia method used to eliminate the feeling of pain in the act of childbirth or in the seezaryan operation. The difference from general anesthesia is that the expectant mother is awake during the procedure and she fully perceives what is going on around her. Epidural is the most preferred, most effective, safest and most commonly used method for normal birth.
How to give epidural birth?
Epidural anesthesia is in the form of regional anesthesia, as we said before. The anesthesiologist determines where the anaesthesia needle will be performed when the mother is tilted side by side and waist. The area is drugged with the help of a needle. This is because the creation of the epidural needle is to ensure that pain is not felt.
When an epidural injection is made, the expectant mother should never move. Drugs are administered at regular intervals from the area where the needle is made. After 15 minutes of being given the first drug, expectant mothers begin to feel the pain.
The drug is given to the mother candidate with the help of catheter and is taken within 48 hours of delivery.
It’s quite painful to get stuck and removed the Catheter for the epidural.
Advantages of Epidural Birth
- Epidural anesthesia is the perfect method for painless normal birth.
- It effectively relieves birth pain, accelerates birth when administered at the appropriate dose and time.
- You can walk after the app.
- Epidural analgesia does not stun you, does not make you feel sick, and does not stop bowel movements, does not prevent gas extraction.
- Psychological relaxation increases your normal chance of giving birth by solving muscle spasms.
- Since you are not tired and exhausted after childbirth, you can hold your baby much more quickly and feed it immediately.
- Post-epidural headache swell swells very rare (around 1%).
- In cases where the birth incision (epizyotomy) is opened, it is very effective in removing pain during the opening and repair of epizyotomy.
- When caesarean section is needed, the dose of the drug given from the catatheter is increased and a wake-up caesarean section can be performed without general anesthesia.
- Gold standard at normal birth: Epidural Analgesia.
What are the risks of epidural birth?
- The most common problem of epidural anesthesia is low blood pressure.
- Epidural is a difficult procedure for overweight candidates.
- Epidural anesthesia may fail and pain may be felt during childbirth.
- There may be difficulty urinating.
- There may be an infection.
- It can cause headaches.
- Some patients may have an allergic reaction.